Much like every other month, this past month has been an eventful month full of slow but noticeable progress. I have excuses to excuse my lack of progress but excuses don’t change the reality so we’ll carry on. To my lack of surprise I was full of crap when I said the Insulation Chronicles would be a 4 part series, it will probably be 5 part, probably. Also my apologies, yet another month without proper picture documentation. I may edit it to a 5 part series, or I may just leave this here as part 3.5. I also got one of my favorite pictures of the bus yet. I’ll leave that later. Without further ado, here’s the most recent pic of the interior of the bus.
But how did we get here? Alright lets get to it!
Wheel Well Containment (to be finished later).
I always told myself the first interior framework I would weld in the bus would be the wheel well boxes, it’s one of the least important features in the bus and would be great practice to help refine my sloppy welding. Unfortunately, I had the door emergency so I ended up doing the door before the wheel wells. Regardless of which, I made the wheel wells and as expected they did not turn out that great. (I was going to put in the support featured in the middle there, but I did not) Below you’ll see the two wheel wells boxed (not permanent yet).
The Back Door Lock
I put the back door Lock on. I also rekeyed my other door so they are all keyed the same.
A lot of you may be thinking, “would you recommend this style lock?”
Absolutely not, they are unforgiving with placement and can cause a lot of problems.
“Do you like the company Segal (Prime Line products)?”
Absolutely not, they are condescending A-holes, I waited 3 weeks for them to send me 3 cylinders, right out of the box, all of the pins in one of the cylinders fell apart. When I called them and requested a replacement, their tech support scolded me for taking apart a cylinder (I did not), and their customer service told me they’d call me back (they did not). I’ve spent $200 on their products and they treat me like trash. Don’t buy Segal locks, they don’t care about you. /end rant.
I used “polywall” for the ceiling of the bus, it is about $20 for a 4×8 panel from home depot. It is really flimsy but looks pretty decent once it’s secured. I got this idea from reading the broccoli bus build (One of my favorite builds who I reference throughout these posts). I did not enjoy putting these panels up, I did a solid C+ job. 78% of the ceiling has no visible warping/bubbles. I also undid and redid a few of my ceiling panels.
How did I cut the holes for the roof vents? Using really sloppy stencils made from cardboard. It turned out alright. Not great, but alright. You can cut this material with a razor so it’s easy to make adjustments later.
Below you see how we held the ceiling up before fastening.
Then I marked around the furring strips with blue tape.
And put down these thin metal trim strip things.
Resulting in the photo posted earlier. (Next post will address the shower stuff in the back left corner)
But there’s more!
I insulated the ceiling vents with some reflectix shiny bubble wrap, I glued it down with gorilla glue. I probably didn’t do a great job securing this, but I don’t care too much.
Now that the vents are somewhat insulated, I was able to put in these vent fans. (I undid the ceiling panels to run these wires, they are fastened to the ceiling with 2 feet of insulating tape and one screw hole zip tie, I then fastened it to the wall with another screw hole zip tie. Probably not adequate fastening. I will report back if/when these fail.
Oddball Insulation Jobs.
I didn’t really document this well, but there were a lot of oddball insulation jobs I did around the bus. The rear of the bus being one of them. Here’re some pictures of some areas I insulated, I don’t think they are interesting at all, but maybe something else will catch your eye.
I took this picture to show some process of the shower build, but that will be an update detailed later this month. For now you can observe this picture to see that I’m not lying when I say it’s insulated.
Here are some upper pockets I insulated. I was able to shove about 3 1/2″ of insulation scrap in these crevices. It wasn’t super exciting, but I started listening to audiobooks In January, and that has made the work a lot more engaging.
The Double Door Insulation
I think I’m breaking some organizational rules here, but the double door insulation gets it’s own section because I remembered to document it somewhat. It is good to note that I need to redo this a little.
Insulating the door
I added a little fastenining pad/piece of wood to drill into
adding the wood boards (I did not take a picture of the little fastening pad I put in the left door).
Unfortunately there was about 1/4″ gap between the wood and the door. I clamped it down and got it shut but now the door lock is giving me trouble, I think I bent the shape of the door enough that the lock will not work. I don’t mind this so much but I think it’s within my best interest to add a small buffer layer behind this plywood to make a more proper joint with less tension. Good for now, to be continued later.
We got a ton of snow (by pacific northwest standards), perhaps the most snow I’ve seen at my residences in 20 years. Snow = moisture, moisture = anxiety.
But I have to admit, it was really pretty.
On the final night of snow, I had an incredibly serene experience. I came home from work around 9:30, and to my amazement, the snow reflected so much moonlight, that I was able to set up some saw horses and do all sorts of work I never would’ve expected to do at night. It was a gift from the progress gods and a great way to conclude my fickle relationship with the snow.
Coming Up Next! Shower Framing